If you go to ANY Spanish restaurant I can guarantee you will see ´tortilla´ written on the menu *see previous blog to find out the best tortilla restaurants in Madrid* HOWEVER, have you ever tried making it yourself?! ¿te apetece?
Fear not, I have found the perfect Spanish tortilla recipe for you, so why not try it yourself and impress your friends or family!
½ cup olive oil (the better the quality, the more tasty the tortilla)
5 medium-sized potatoes, diced into 1-inch pieces
1 large brown onion, chopped
Salt, black pepper
*optional: parsley to garnish*
- Heat the oil in a nonstick (12-inch) pan. On medium to high heat, fry the potatoes until golden and crispy. Add the onion and fry until transparent (few minutes). Then drain all the oil, and discard.
- Return potatoes and onions to the pan, arranging them in a single layer. Reduce heat to low.
- Beat eggs with a large pinch of salt and black pepper. Pour eggs into the pan, moving the potatoes and onions around the eggs using a plastic spatula. Every so often, move the eggs around the potatoes while it’s cooking to ensure the eggs cook on the bottom, so there’s not much raw egg left on the top.
- **The tricky part** Place a big, round plate on top of the pan, and with your hand holding the plate, flip the tortilla onto the plate. Then, slide the tortilla back into the pan carefully.
- Keep cooking, gently shaking the pan occasionally until completely cooked through.
- To remove the tortilla from the pan, place a clean plate on top of the tortilla and flip again onto the plate. Garnish with parsley (optional).
This show stopper can be serve with a tomato salad for lunch, or used as an entrée or appetiser with friends or family.